Thursday, July 3, 2014

Great Grandmas.

I grew up with both my Great Grandmothers within walking distance. Literally seconds away. Their memories are a strong influence in my artwork. The flowers correlate with their personalities and tastes. I just recently learnt how to print with linocuts. Multi-coloured prints are so HARD. The third image is a piece I worked on a few years ago, I pulled it out yesterday when I was going through my inventory. The bright fabrics were quilt scraps that G.G. worked with. It speaks to how some memories are so tangible; like her craft, while others; the sound of her voice, are harder to grasp.




G.G. at the table, linocut, 11'' x 16'' (image cropped), 2014



Granny at the table, linocut, 11'' x 16'' (image cropped), 2014



The Sound of Her Voice, textile and embroidery on handkerchief, 
 12'' x 12'', 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment